Maybe you've heard that kids with autism may have sensitivities to gluten (found in wheat) and casein (a protein in milk). The theory is that if you eliminate these foods from the diet, the autism symptoms should lessen (supposedly this should also work for symptoms of ADHD and sensory disorders). Over the past several months I have found tons of information about the gluten-free, casein-free (GFCF) diet. Lots of books and websites, many, many accounts of parents who see a “whole different kid” after implementing the diet. The problem is that I have run into NO scientific evidence for this whatsoever. The one study that I have seen found that this diet had no effect. Of course that study only followed kids for 1 month, while proponents of the GFCF diet say that you need to give it at least 3 months to see results.
Despite this complete lack of evidence, we've decided to give it a try. My logic is that it can't hurt to try it and see what happens. So Ignacio has been on a (mostly) GFCF diet for a little over a month now (there have been a few slips that I know of, plus probably a few that I don't). We have already seen some changes, but not quite what we were expecting.
I had him tested for Celiac Disease prior to starting the diet. Although he does not have this, I do believe that he has a sensitivity to gluten (or maybe casein, or both). Since starting the diet his energy level has been markedly improved. So have his bowel movements (I'll try to refrain from TMI here-suffice to say there has been an improvement). He is talking more and is again showing interest in topics other than dinosaurs.
However, with the increase in energy we are also seeing an increase in “typical” autistic behaviors. He runs around the house in circles counting and repeating various phrases. He spends hours meticulously arranging and lining up items. And counting. Did I mention counting? In general though, his mood has been good. He has been trying new foods because well, that's all he's being offered. His food repertoire has definitely expanded.
The diet itself is not too hard, but did take some getting used to. We have found decent gluten-free bread and vegan cheese (Ignacio's staples prior to the diet). Fruit and veggies are allowed, so no problem there. We have been eating more Asian-influenced meals (think rice and tamari) and less Tex-Mex stuff (think tortillas and cheese). It's probably a healthier diet for all of us since we eat out less and are preparing more food from scratch. Our grocery bill has been higher, but not too bad. I do have to hit 3 different stores to get all the grocery shopping done. We have become frequent customers of zpizza since they are the ONLY place I know that I can get GFCF take-away (they have a gluten-free crust and vegan cheese).
At the outset, we said that we would try the diet for 3 months and then see where we are. We are still determined to stick it out for the next 2 months and see if there is any further improvement. In retrospect, I think we clouded things by cutting out gluten and casein simultaneously. This was also the same time we started potty training (which came with its own set of behavioral issues). Hopefully with a few more months we'll have a clearer picture about whether or not this crazy diet is making any difference.
No comments:
Post a Comment